Stay Healthy This Flu Season
Naturopathic Tips To Avoid Getting Sick This Flu Season
Bacterial infections such as strep throat or bronchitis will respond to prescription medication, such as an antibiotic. However, as a Naturopath, I do not support antibiotic treatments.
Naturopathic approach to infections
I investigate the cause of the problem and deal with the issue with detoxification. Once you’ve identified why an illness has occurred you can avoid the recurrence of these infections. It is a known fact that antibiotics weaken the immune system; and antibiotics cannot guarantee that the problem will not happen again. I have found great success with detoxification and deep cleansing, as opposed to antibiotics usage.
Typically, when the seasons change, mostly in fall and winter, people begin to worry about getting a cold. Getting enough sleep and taking charge of your diet will help ward off bad bacteria. If you are consuming a lot of refined sugars and processed foods, you are not doing your body any favors. Sugar is “fertilizer” for bacteria, yeast, and fungi that create an environment for a respiratory virus. Eighty percent of your immune system lies in your “GUT”.
The best ways to protect you from getting a cold are to:
- Limit your sugar intake
- Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables
- Eat fermented foods
Exercising regularly is a powerful way to reduce cold/flu like symptoms. The more your immune cells circulate in your blood through exercise, the more efficient your immune system will be. Using consistent and intense exercise as “medicine” will help to keep you healthy.
Top Five Naturopathic Recommendations To Avoid Getting Sick
- Wash your hands regularly (especially after a handshake).
- NEVER use anti-bacterial products. They are loaded with synthetic chemicals.
- Take herbal immune boosters such as oil of oregano, garlic, and ginger.
- Stay well hydrated, especially when travelling).
- We all know chicken soup helps some people feel better. But, I have an even better, proven recipe to really help drain the mucous when you get a cold:
- Slice 30 pieces of ginger very thinly
- 8 garlic cloves
- 10 cups of water
Bring to a boil and let simmer for 45 minutes. When cool, add the juice of a lemon.
Drink 2 cups per day as long as symptoms last.
Keep this in mind ….” Life is a gift. Health is a practice.”